Only a meager three months into the Vermont College MFA Writing Program and I’ve already discovered there are signs that indicate such enrollment. I’m up to ten so far, and I’d love to hear any others from my fellow classmates. So, here are the signs that let you know you’re really doing the VC MFA program:
1. You know your public library card number by heart.
2. Your public librarians all know you on a first name basis.
3. Dust bunnies have overtaken your house. And you’re okay with it.
4. Your living spaces are consumed with piles of books, notepads, writing implements and computers.
5. You develop a taste for convenience foods.
6. You need new glasses. But won’t take the time to see your eye doctor.
7. You have to ice down your writing hand nightly.
8. Your friends stop calling.
9. Your spouse actually knows what a “packet” is.
10. So does your cat.
(but you’re still smiling!)
Okay, any of your Vermont College students out there, let me hear what your signs are!
Rather than have you read through the comments, here are two more from fellow VCFA-ers:
1. The employees at your local post office know you by name, and already have your return postage stamps ready when you walk through the door (TP: Bet I can guess who your advisor is! ;-).
2. Your spouse/partner not only knows what packet is, but makes dinner for you the few nights before your packet is due.